Advice for students…
- Learn about resources early – Academic Success Center, Writing Center, study tables in the Library, Counseling and Psychological Services, Financial Aid, Intercultural Student Services, and Educational Opportunities Program.
- Buy a planner and write down important dates, deadlines, and appointments right away.
- If a paper planner isn’t your thing…check out Google Calendar. It’s free and works with smart phones.
- What to do with all that blank space on your schedule? Remember to SCHEDULE your study time – 3 hours per 1 hour in the classroom!
- Leave your gaming systems at home.
- Get to know your roommates, residence assistants, residence directors, professors, advisors, and other campus-wide mentors early in your first term.
- Go online and use Zero to Success in 77 Days a comprehensive week by week guide and “to-do” list for the term with important deadlines and great study tips.
Advice for parents and family members…
- Think about limiting phone calls, emails and text messages to your student…this is their time to become more independent, connect with their peers, and learn the college ropes.
- Educate yourself about student resources on campus so that if your student needs support you know what’s available and can suggest they use the resources.
- If you are scheduling your student’s trip home for break, be sure to check out our academic calendars for important dates.
- Check out our OSU family/parent website.
- While your student is gone, learn games like Rock Band…a fun way to re-connect during term breaks!