Researchers have discovered that strong, healthy families share some common traits.
- Express affection, encouragement, and appreciation through words and actions. Let each family member know they are special.
- Play and work together. Share meals, do household chores, enjoy leisure activities.
- Practice positive communication skills. Listen, respect feelings, explore concerns.
- Live a healthy lifestyle that includes proper nutrition, regular physical activity and adequate rest.
- Engage with friends and community. Stay in touch with relatives, friends, neighbors, and help those in need.
The Hallie E. Ford Center for Healthy Children and Families promotes the development and well-being of children, youth and families by generating, translating and sharing research-based knowledge. The center advocates a holistic, interdisciplinary approach to research, training and outreach that has far-reaching consequences for Oregon and beyond.