Our goal is to develop a holistic understanding of the health of individuals and populations and create feasible approaches to solving current and emerging public health and societal problems.
We study individuals across the life course, focus on health equity and addressing health disparities, and conduct both basic and applied research, including research on the translation of public health programs to real-world settings.
- New grant will help OSU researchers find ways to prevent injury in Dungeness crab industryOSU professors Jay Kim and Laurel Kincl will build on existing research with the Dungeness crab fishing industry, where workers suffer high rates of both fatal and non-fatal injuries, thanks to a grant from the NIOSH.
- Beyond the doom and gloom of the Baby BoomHDFS Professor Karen Hooker shares three things to consider as you age, especially if you find yourself as a caregiver.
- Residential proximity to oil and gas drilling linked to lower birthweights in newborns, study findsA new study found that infants born within 3 kilometers of oil and natural gas drilling facilities in Texas had slightly lower birthweights than those born before drilling began in their vicinity.
- Recess quality influences student behavior, social-emotional development, OSU study findsRecess quality, not just the time spent out of the classroom, plays a major role in whether children experience the full physical, mental and social-emotional benefits of recess.
- Quality supervision, coworker support key to child welfare caseworker retention, OSU study findsInstead of looking at the reasons child welfare caseworkers leave their jobs, OSU researchers examined the common factors among workers who stay in the field, and what makes them feel most satisfied in their work.
- Pre-pandemic, Oregon child care was already scarce, new OSU report saysAs of March 2020, all 36 counties in Oregon qualify as child care “deserts” for infants and toddlers — meaning that there are at least three children under the age of 2 for every available child care slot in the county.